Re: reasons to ditch LILO before upgrading to jessie?

On 07/07/2016 05:47 PM, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
I'll take advantage of this thread to ask a question / express my frustration
with grub:

The thing that always frustrated me about grub is that, iirc, they counted
disks / partitions different than lilo and the rest of Linux--they start
counting at 1 (like Windows, iirc), and lilo and Linux start counting at 0--is
that still the case?

OTOH, I haven't touched either lilo or grub in a long time--I don't even know
which I'm using--I installed whatever Debian 7 offered, and, since it is a
single boot system, (and I haven't booted in ~85 days), I don't really have an
issue.
Yes, the partitions are counted differently, and that can be a little frustrating. However, with Grub, you can refer to the partitions by label or by UUID (Grub usually defaults to using UUID) rather than drive/partition numbers, which makes it a little easier. Lilo cannot refer to the partitions in this way, so you must know what drive/partition you are referring to. This is not a big deal in many installations, however, in situations where the drive/partition number may change (e.g. usb sticks that on one boot may be /dev/sdb on one boot and /dev/sdc on another depending on how/when the bios enumerates them) this comes in very handy, as you don't have to know which drive/partition will be the root partition, you only have to know either the UUID of the partition or a label you have assigned to it, and these things don't change regardless of how/where a usb device is enumerated.