Problem w. browser when running on SSD

Greetings everybody,

This is a newly installed Sid system that has 2 Samsung HD502HJ disks of 500GB and a Samsung SSD830 of 128GB.

It has 2 graphics cards, Model:"nVidia G98 [GeForce 8400 GS Rev. 2]".

The reason it is a new install is because I have for years run the NVidia closed source driver but they dropped support for these cards to Legacy-940.96, which has problems with the Sid level of the kernel and the gcc compiler. So I tried to purge the NVidia driver and install nouveau, but was unable to do so. So I did a new install which installed nouveau when I installed xorg. It looks and behaves just the way NVidia used to.

I usually run on the HD502HJ disks but wanted to see how this new install would run on the SSD830, so I ran a copy of the new system on that disk.

I run google-chrome-beta as browser and never have any problems on the HD502HJ. But on the SSD830 I was getting lots of not responding applications that had to be killed and not responding plugin. It made the system unusable.

The only difference between the 2 systems is the disk on which they run.

I have tried to google for this error but was not too successful. The moment you enter 'nouveau' as a search term it thinks I am a French speaker.

Has anybody ever come across this strange behavior? What do you suggest?

Hugo.