Re: Laptop wireless problem

Lisi Reisz wrote:

> I have just checked.  It is not working.  I suspect that none of the GUI
> software, this being an old 32 bit laptop, can handle IPv6.  But it seems
> very odd that the card is finding the networks (and it is finding quite a
> few) and getting an IPv6 address, but not getting an IPv4 one.

you sure it should get ipv4 - depends how the dhcp/network is configured

> Might it be a hardware problem?  Which is where trying another card came
> in. ;-)  I would rather get the original card going - and overnight
> thought of trying to buy a replacement.  I had been forgetting, until you
> told me to look at the BIOS, that that vintage has a mini-PCI card, not
> onboard wireless.  It could easily be changed if I could get a
> replacement.  It is even pretty accessible!!

I don't think it is a hardware problem. Some older wlan cards are
incompatible with some wlan modems, but when you can get there ... it means
it works.

Also did you enter the passphrase for your SID? This is essential.

Some cards do not work with wpa/2 on some access points.

I'm just wondering if you are connecting to the correct network.
If you can login to the access point, you can check there for your mac
address. Perhaps you should permit connecting. Perhaps you could also
disable the ipv6 there.

regards