systemd I/O error :-(

On the laptop (i386, Dell Inspiron 9300, Intel Celeron) I am getting
the following message. I am at a loss as to where even to begin. :-(
All help welcome.

I hoped a straight upgrade would leave me with init systemV, not
because I think it is better. I don't want a flame war. But because I
am more likely to be able to extricate myself from problems.

Well, I can't extricate myself. :-( I'll plead old-age. :-(

The message (and please excuse copying errors and typos) is:

[24772.681833] systemd-logind[21814]: Failed to enable subscription:
Launch helper exited with unknown return code 1
[24772.681890] systemd-logind[21814]: Failed to fully start up daemon:
Input/output errror

I have Googled, and even found a related thread on this list, but have
not succeeded in finding a solution.

Help!!

Thanks,
Lisi