Re: SOLVED Re: USB printer CUPS stalls on "Sending data to printer"

On Thu 23 Jun 2016 at 05:23:15 +0200, Emanuel Berg wrote:

> Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> writes:
>
> > Similarily glad but recording for the
> > archives that foomatic-db-compressed-ppds is
> > not required to set up and use a print queue
> > with printer-driver-foo2zjs.
>
> Right, the turn of events was this line
>
>     foo2zjs:0/ppd/foo2zjs/HP-LaserJet_Pro_P1102w.ppd
>
> which I found with
>
>     $ lpinfo -m | grep 1102w

It would also have found hpcups and hpijs PPDs, unless the packages
had been removed. Given the extra step of having to install a non-free
plugin and seeing foo2zjs is recommended would be a good enough reason
for choosing foo2zjs:

 lpadmin -p <x> -v <y> -E -m <foo2zjs...>

A 10 second job after the preparatory work is done. :)

> But I can't find it on the disk and my
> functions to track it can't find it either!
> Perhaps not a real file but some abstraction
> foo2zjs uses...

The file is in the driver file foo2zjs in /usr/lib/cups/driver. lpinfo
consults the driver file.

> file-to-pack () {
>     apt-file update > /dev/null
>     apt-file search $@
> }
>
> pack-to-file () {
>     local pack=$1
>     local -a files
>     files=("${(@f)$(dpkg --listfiles $pack)}")
>     for f in $files; do
>         if [[ -f $f ]]; then echo $f; fi
>     done
> }

All that these functions seem to have done is turn a gentle five minute
stroll into a day long Himalayan expedition.