Re: Strange Email Bounce

On 06/21/2016 03:37 AM, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
Hi

Lisi Reisz wrote:
It is the sender that has the misconfiguration in this case.
But what is misconfigured in particular ?

The mail clients used are all different:
Lisi:       User-Agent: KMail/1.9.10    [gets no spam]
Michael:    User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0        [gets spam]
Charlie S:  X-Mailer: Claws Mail 3.13.2    [gets spam]
me:         Custom SMTP client          [gets no spam]

But the mail servers only get to see the mail headers, not the local
configuration of the mail client. So the difference would have to
show up in those headers.

All mails i get from the list have as first header

which is not by my mail client but obviously from the list server.
I assume that you see your own address as first header in the mails you
get from the list.

Different from mine, your, Michael's, and Charlie's mail clients seem
to have sent own Return-path headers which the list server converted to
So this cannot be the difference between your and their experience.

My best theory for now is that the spam sender has a list of spam-worthy
Gmail users and that lisi.reisz@gmail.com is not on it.
(What products are advertised in the spam part ? Typical male ?)

Have a nice day :)

Thomas

Clearly, the problem is not necessarily with those of us that received the bounce notices, though I suspect that we could probably add some additional software/configuration on existing software to filter these things out. I have received bounce notices before and they were always very matter-of-fact types of things informing me that the email was undeliverable and why.

One of the terms used in other replies on this thread is "misconfigured." And I believe that this is not the correct term. Misconfigured, to me, implies an error. In this case, I think that the configuration is deliberate. Knowing that returning the bounce notice to the envelope from, which in this case is the debian-user list, would result in no one seeing the spam, the operators of this particular server have deliberately configured it so that it will return the bounce notice to the From: of the original message, thereby greatly increasing the probability that the spam would get seen.

Please note that this is merely my opinion, and that I know that I am splitting hairs with the misconfiguration/configuration terminology. However, the solution has been presented in this thread -- forward the offending message to the list administrator so that the email address from which the spam/bounce notice is coming can be unsubscribed. Once that happens, the spam/bounce notices will disappear.

--
73's
Mike, WB5VQX