Re: Strange Email Bounce

On 6/20/16, Michael Milliman <michael.e.milliman@gmail.com> wrote:
> I just replied to an email here on the debian-user list.  I have checked
> the debian-user list archive on debian.org, and the email was indeed
> received and posted to the list.  Nevertheless, I also received a bounce
> notice which was somewhat disturbing.  It reported the email bounced
> from backup@ninjalabs.com.  This bounce notice was in HTML format and
> was mostly an advert.  I am not an expert, or even very knowledgeable,
> about reading email headers, however it appears that the bounce was in
> response to the forward of my original message after having been
> received by the lists.debian.org server.
>
> I am concerned about having received a "bounce notice" that was
> essentially spam as a result of a post to this list.  I am including
> (hopefully) a copy of the headers from the bounce notice as an
> attachment.  Any thoughts on this?? Should I (or perhaps someone else)
> be concerned about this, or is this a result of normal processes and an
> email provider with some questionable practices which is beyond the my
> control or that of the administrators of this list?
>
> I'm probably showing my profound ignorance with those questions, and if
> so, please enlighten me.

As I read through everyone's response, I thought.. Hm, I just sent a
response earlier and didn't receive it either. Then I remembered that
that domain was familiar from a recent email so I searched my inbox.
Didn't find it but DID find that I had, yes, received a similar bounce
notice since last night:

+++ BEGIN FORWARDED BOUNCE EMAIL +++

There was a problem delivering your email to:
backup@ninjalabs.com

WHAT HAPPENED? The domain name of the email address is not valid.

WHAT CAN YOU DO? Check the "ninjalabs.com" part of the email address
for misspellings or missing letters. (If you find an error, you might
need to correct it in your contacts list or address book too.)

If necessary, contact your recipient another way (e.g., phone or text
message) to confirm their email address.

Find out more information about this bounce message.

Advertisement | Prefer no ads?

WHO ARE WE? Bounce works on behalf of various Internet properties to
give you better information about why your email wasn't delivered. You
can learn more about us here.

+++ END FORWARDED BOUNCE EMAIL +++

That's all I know about it. One Gmail mangled link in it *appears* to
redirect to b-io.me... Tried searching it before sending this. Ended
up with a lot of references to "biome" on the front page. I'm not
wasting time going deeper in.

The advertisement is not displaying (due to user *_CHOICE_*). I'm also
not going to pursue that aspect beyond that. I'm still in emergency
mode via "that other operating system" is the reason there. The
advertisement is prominently embedded a la the way your basic blog
post type of service embeds images.

That's all I know. If I'd been a hurry and not seen the current thread
first, I'd most likely have (rightly or wrongly) blown it off by
sending it to the trash bin. Maybe.. who knows.. *grin*

Cindy :)

--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs with duct tape *