Re: How to download over https

Le 18/06/2016 18:19, Dan Purgert a écrit :
Pascal Hambourg wrote:
Le 17/06/2016 21:52, Jochen Spieker a écrit :
Pascal Hambourg:

Hmm. I don't know how SSL works, but HTTPS runs on top of TCP so I doubt
that it cares about IP packet size. The task of splitting the TCP payload
stream into IP packets is done by the TCP layer.

Sure, but if your encryption scheme wastes payload in yout packets you
have more overhead for TCP/IP headers in each packet.

Why would encryption increase the payload size ?
Disk encryption with dm-crypt does not (except for the LUKS header).

Because most encryption schemes use a standard blocksize (let's say 64
bytes), and those 'encrypted blocks' do not fit well into the max
payload size of a packet.

More packets = more overhead.

Again, why would whole encrypted blocks need to fit in packets ? TCP is a stream-oriented transport protocol, so the encryption block size and boundary does not matter.