Re: ThinkPad fan

On Sat, 18 Jun 2016, Francesco Montanari wrote:
> 60C using thinkfan. When I run with CPUs at 100% it reaches 90C in less
> than two minutes. For work I need to launch short (few minutes) but CPU

Looks like a cracked thermal interface between the heatsink and the CPU.
The repair is easy, but rather annoying to do: you have to replace the
thermal compound and reseat the heatsink.

Obviously, you have to be *very* careful about what you're doing, or
you're going to damage something, and replacing a planar (motherboard)
is *expensive*.

Warning: whatever you do, use only non-reactive, non-conductive,
high-quality thermal compounds.  Arctic Silver 5 is a good choice, and
the one I use.

Refer to the hardware maintenance manual for your specific thinkpad, and
look for extra information on youtube and the thinkpad forums if you
never did this kind of thing before.  You will have to properly clean up
the old thermal compound, btw.  Beware any thermal pads, some thinkpads
use them.

Alternatively, a decent repair shop that has some overclocker in house
will be quite good at doing this kind of repair.

  Henrique Holschuh