Re: ThinkPad fan

On Fri, 2016-06-17 at 12:58 +0300, Francesco Montanari wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently installed Jessie on a Lenovo ThinkPad T420. The fan usage
> looks
> reasonable. However, high temperatures (96 C) are reached when CPUs
> are
> running intensively for more than one minute or so. The fan speed at
> those
> temperatures is about 4500 rpm.
>
> Do you think it is ok, or do you suggest to force lower temperatures,
> e.g.,
> with thinkfan [1]?

It isn't unusual with a temperature like that during load, but it
mostly seems to happen when playing demanding games on a laptop.

I wouldn't worry about it if it just happens momentarily, but long
running tasks that stress the system like that is probably not suitable
on a laptop.

Anyway, as others have pointed out, check for dust and make sure that
you don't impede air flow yourself (by placing it on bed for example).

--
Cheers,
Sven Arvidsson