Re: ThinkPad fan

On Sat, 2016-06-18 at 11:35 +0200, Luis Felipe Tabera Alonso wrote:
> I have the very same model and also suffer from the high temperature
> problem.
> I should probably clean the fans, but another thing I usually do for
> normal
> usage is to limit the cpu speed.
>
> As root:
>
> #echo 60 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/intel_pstate/max_perf_pct
>
> Or whatever number you feel good with. Unless I am doing heavy usage,
> I do not
> notice performance penalties and temperatures do not get that high.

This sounds like a good suggestion.

AFAIK modern CPUs use thermal throttling so even if you would run it
hot you wouldn't get full performance out of it anyway.

Disassembling the heatsink and applying a good thermal paste might
shave of a few degrees, but that involves a bit more work.

--
Cheers,
Sven Arvidsson