Re: ThinkPad fan

On sábado, 18 de junio de 2016 11:41:36 (CEST) Francesco Montanari wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the suggestions. I tried the following, which didn't change much
> the situation. Can it be that the CPUs just warm up more when getting old,
> or it shouldn't matter if cleaned properly?
>
> a) I disassembled and cleaned the fan. Fairly dusty (it's about 5 years I
> have the laptop), I used a vacuum cleaner to remove the dust. I have the
> impression that the fan now pushes out more air.
>
> b) I installed and configured thinkfan (despite the buggy installation
> [1]). The package description [2] says it is helpful in the case the fan is
> running too much (not really my problem), but it actually provides an easy
> way in general to set the fan levels for given temperature ranges [3]. In
> comparison to before, the fan runs faster now when above 60C.
>
> c) I also tried to turn on by hand the disentangled mode (~5500rpm instead
> of ~4500rpm) [4].
>
> d) I had a look to the script suggested by Tom (thanks), but didn't try it
> since I managed to install thinkfan. FYI, I think that
> /proc/acpi/ibm/thermal is no longer the way to get the temperature.

I have the very same model and also suffer from the high temperature problem.
I should probably clean the fans, but another thing I usually do for normal
usage is to limit the cpu speed.

As root:

#echo 60 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/intel_pstate/max_perf_pct

Or whatever number you feel good with. Unless I am doing heavy usage, I do not
notice performance penalties and temperatures do not get that high.

Luis