Re: error trying to launch the first firefox window on Debian Jessie

On Friday 17 June 2016 11:29:51 Dalios wrote:

> On 06/16/2016 08:50 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> snip
>
> > There seems to be sort of a "quantum dis-entanglement" in this
> > browser transition (and I am reading between the lines, thinking
> > your problem is related to this) because in one swell foop they've
> > disabled the help menu's of quite a few programs that used iceweasel
> > as their reader for html docs, whether it was a file on your own
> > machine, or a link to a site on the web serving up the latest docs,
> > which of course do NOT apply to the 3 year old stable versions of
> > the programs served up by the repo's
> >
> > I solved it here the hard, no doubt totally unapproved way, I
> > copied /usr/lib/firefox to /usr/lib/iceweasel and then made
> > softlinks in the copied directory from iceweasel to firefox.  And
> > those programs that serve up their help menu's with iceweasel are
> > once again "fat, dumb, and happy".
> >
> > Tain't right, it will not be updated, but in that event I'll just
> > edit the softlinks to actually reference the real thing & nuke the
> > rest of that directory as wasted  disk space.
> >
> > I have no clue what they were thinking when they yanked iceweasel
> > out by the roots. I doubt they even considered that something else
> > might be dependent on iceweasel/iceweasel as a name.
> >
> > What should have happened was that iceweasel was updated to be an
> > empty package except for that /usr/lib/iceweasel directory and the
> > softlinks to firefox.
> >
> > Grrrrrouuuufffff in the general direction of TPTB.
> >
> > Cheers, Gene Heskett
>
> Thanks for your effort and your feedback but I don't think that is a
> good solution for me. Maybe I should try re-installing firefox...
>
> Thanks anyway
> Dalios

That will NOT work when the app complains it can't find iceweasel.  Make
the directory if its gone, and put the links named iceweasel that point
at firefox in it.

Humm, not sure where to put it, probably in /etc/aliases, but its
possible a properly composed alias would also work.  Someone should
explore that possibility.  Here, it seems to be all user : notheruser
type stuff.  I don't see such a critter in my home directory though.

Perhaps an export of iceweasel = "firefox", then open a new cli and try
it. IDK.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)