Re: error trying to launch the first firefox window on Debian Jessie

On Thursday 16 June 2016 12:48:42 Dalios wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> my system is Debian 8 Jessie (stable) with XFCE Desktop Environment
> and just a few days back my Iceweasel browser transformed to Firefox.
> After that my keyboard shortcut for launching Firefox isn't working if
> Firefox isn't running! In other words: if a Firefox Window is open
> then I can launch other (new) Firefox windows with my shortcut but if
> no Firefox windows are open the none starts.
>
> From: XFCE Menu >> Keyboard >> Application Shortcuts I found the exact
> command which was "exo-open --launch WebBrowser" so I tried that on a
> console and got this error:
>

> ------8><------------paste-starts-here-----------8><-------------
>
> dalios@debian-8:~$ exo-open --launch WebBrowser
> dalios@debian-8:~$ 1466093150530	addons.xpi	WARN	Exception running
> bootstrap method startup on {fe272bd1-5f76-4ea4-8501-a05d35d823fc}:
> ReferenceError: invalid assignment left-hand side
> (resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProvider.jsm ->
> jar:file:///home/dalios/.mozilla/firefox/5k17vuc8.default/extensions/%
>7Bfe272bd1-5f76-4ea4-8501-a05d35d823fc%7D.xpi!/bootstrap.js ->
> jar:file:///home/dalios/.mozilla/firefox/5k17vuc8.default/extensions/%
>7Bfe272bd1-5f76-4ea4-8501-a05d35d823fc%7D.xpi!/lib/ui.js:407:5) JS
> Stack trace: require@bootstrap.js:141:4 < @main.js:19:1 <
> require@bootstrap.js:141:4 < startup@bootstrap.js:28:2 <
> this.XPIProvider.callBootstrapMethod@XPIProvider.jsm:4656:9 <
> this.XPIProvider.startup@XPIProvider.jsm:2727:13 <
> callProvider@AddonManager.jsm:227:12 <
> _startProvider@AddonManager.jsm:833:5 <
> AddonManagerInternal.startup@AddonManager.jsm:1016:9 <
> this.AddonManagerPrivate.startup@AddonManager.jsm:2782:5 <
> amManager.prototype.observe@addonManager.js:58:7
>
> ------><8------------paste-ends-here-----------><8-------------
>

> If I try the command "firefox" (or "iceweasel") then a similar error
> is produced but at least Firefox is launched.

There seems to be sort of a "quantum dis-entanglement" in this browser
transition (and I am reading between the lines, thinking your problem is
related to this) because in one swell foop they've disabled the help
menu's of quite a few programs that used iceweasel as their reader for
html docs, whether it was a file on your own machine, or a link to a
site on the web serving up the latest docs, which of course do NOT apply
to the 3 year old stable versions of the programs served up by the
repo's

I solved it here the hard, no doubt totally unapproved way, I
copied /usr/lib/firefox to /usr/lib/iceweasel and then made softlinks in
the copied directory from iceweasel to firefox.  And those programs that
serve up their help menu's with iceweasel are once again "fat, dumb, and
happy".

Tain't right, it will not be updated, but in that event I'll just edit
the softlinks to actually reference the real thing & nuke the rest of
that directory as wasted  disk space.

I have no clue what they were thinking when they yanked iceweasel out by
the roots. I doubt they even considered that something else might be
dependent on iceweasel/iceweasel as a name.

What should have happened was that iceweasel was updated to be an empty
package except for that /usr/lib/iceweasel directory and the softlinks
to firefox.

Grrrrrouuuufffff in the general direction of TPTB.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)