Re: ThinkPad fan

On Friday 17 June 2016 10:21:26 Lisi Reisz wrote:

> On Friday 17 June 2016 15:01:39 Gene Heskett wrote:

> > > I literally hate when this happens. A thought occurred as fast as
> > > that last email was sent. Low income types like myself don't
> > > always have enough pennies to rub together to even buy a cheap fan
> > > of any kind on demand. Doesn't mean we've completely run out of
> > > alternatives. The dogs busted my first laptop fan's USB connection
> > > couple years ago, but I still used the stand part of it
> > > successfully as a coolant aid for another year or so (until they
> > > broke that, too).
> > >
> > > ANYTHING that can *safely* get a laptop off the desktop surface
> > > helps even if no extra fan is available in an emergency. Give air
> > > every chance possible to circulate all around the machine.
> > >
> > > Mine's currently sitting on top of... knitting needles. They're
> > > placed so that they are not near the hottest parts of the laptop
> > > and so that they do not interfere with any other type of airflow,
> > > either. Just another #Life Lesson Learned the Hard Way due to
> > > losing couple machines over the years k/t the whole low income
> > > thing,
> > > yada-yada-grin...
> > >
> > > Cindy :)
> >
> > I would saw a couple of the old, small matching sized thread spools
> > in two, cutting so you have a long half and a short half. Put the
> > short ones under the front edge, and the long ones under the rear
> > edge, possibly securing them beside its existing feet with some
> > fabric glue I'd expect you have in the sewing kit.  That would leave
> > far more open space for the heat to be carried away than the
> > knitting needles would. And that sort of glue would allow easy
> > removal in the event you'd have to open it and they are hiding an
> > assembly screw.
>
> Like it: :-))
>
> But it requires equipment, like a hacksaw and vice to cut the spools
> smoothly and matching-ly, or your laptop would wobble.  Not all of us
> have fully equipped workshops, Gene. ;-)

Ordinary saw, and level the wobble out with sandpaper.  Spools these days
are some sort of foam plastic moldings, might even be cuttable with a
sharp knife.  Its even possible the glue could wreck the spool by
dissolving it, one of the reasons I said fabric glue, that may be a
safer formula than anything full of aromatics.  They are usually bad
news for foamed plastic.

> But I love the idea!  Really ingenious.  Have you tried it??
>
> Lisi

No.  My only lappy, an ancient HP DV-5120-us, doesn't run that hot. The
fan kicks in for maybe 10 seconds at 30+ second intervals.  I've used it
for my "on the road" computer since about 2002.  Email, and a bit of web
browsing, and acting like a terminal occasionally is about it. OEM
battery still runs it for a little while but its getting tired too.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)