Re: ThinkPad fan

Francesco Montanari <franz1010101@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I recently installed Jessie on a Lenovo ThinkPad T420. The fan usage
> looks reasonable. However, high temperatures (96 C) are reached when
> CPUs are running intensively for more than one minute or so. The fan
> speed at those temperatures is about 4500 rpm.
>
> Do you think it is ok, or do you suggest to force lower temperatures,
> e.g., with thinkfan [1]?
>
> Thanks,
> Francesco
>
> [1] https://packages.debian.org/jessie/thinkfan

That's unlikely to hurt anything, but from the package description it
sounds like will only slow a fan down if it doesn't need to run fast,
which isn't your problem.

>From my experience on overheating laptops, the first thing I'd do would
be to clean everything.  Laptops have much more constrained air paths
than desktops, and it's easy for air inlets (this is where I've seen
problems most frequently) or heat sinks to get clogged so you don't get
the flow you need.