Re: ThinkPad fan

On 6/17/16, Cindy-Sue Causey <butterflybytes@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/17/16, Dan Purgert <dan@djph.net> wrote:
>> Francesco Montanari wrote:
>>> I recently installed Jessie on a Lenovo ThinkPad T420. The fan usage
>>> looks
>>> reasonable. However, high temperatures (96 C) are reached when CPUs are
>>> running intensively for more than one minute or so. The fan speed at
>>> those
>>> temperatures is about 4500 rpm.
>>>
>>> Do you think it is ok, or do you suggest to force lower temperatures,
>>> e.g.,with thinkfan [1]?
>>
>> Absolutely.  95C is pushing the thermal thresholds of CPU dies (IIRC,
>> 100C is the burnout temp on most).  Clean your heatsink too.
>

> Consider this an emergency situation that needs immediately addressed.
> For example, if I personally didn't already have my brain circuits
> mentally locked up on fighting setting up home wifi, I'd be searching
> the Net for an external laptop fan, the USB kind that sits under the
> laptop (oh, and a replacement dialup modem). In the meantime, I
> currently have a desktop fan faced toward mine, and it's definitely
> helping.

I literally hate when this happens. A thought occurred as fast as that
last email was sent. Low income types like myself don't always have
enough pennies to rub together to even buy a cheap fan of any kind on
demand. Doesn't mean we've completely run out of alternatives. The
dogs busted my first laptop fan's USB connection couple years ago, but
I still used the stand part of it successfully as a coolant aid for
another year or so (until they broke that, too).

ANYTHING that can *safely* get a laptop off the desktop surface helps
even if no extra fan is available in an emergency. Give air every
chance possible to circulate all around the machine.

Mine's currently sitting on top of... knitting needles. They're placed
so that they are not near the hottest parts of the laptop and so that
they do not interfere with any other type of airflow, either. Just
another #Life Lesson Learned the Hard Way due to losing couple
machines over the years k/t the whole low income thing,
yada-yada-grin...

Cindy :)

--
Cindy-Sue Causey