Re: ThinkPad fan

On 6/17/16, Dan Purgert <dan@djph.net> wrote:
> Francesco Montanari wrote:
>> I recently installed Jessie on a Lenovo ThinkPad T420. The fan usage
>> looks
>> reasonable. However, high temperatures (96 C) are reached when CPUs are
>> running intensively for more than one minute or so. The fan speed at
>> those
>> temperatures is about 4500 rpm.
>>
>> Do you think it is ok, or do you suggest to force lower temperatures,
>> e.g.,with thinkfan [1]?
>
> Absolutely.  95C is pushing the thermal thresholds of CPU dies (IIRC,
> 100C is the burnout temp on most).  Clean your heatsink too.

Ditto (same thought process here). I just this week lost a ~3-year-old
*external*, i.e. not even internal, dialup modem to (external) heat in
the house. If you run disks in an internal laptop DVD writer/player,
they'll be so hot they'll almost burn you.

Consider this an emergency situation that needs immediately addressed.
For example, if I personally didn't already have my brain circuits
mentally locked up on fighting setting up home wifi, I'd be searching
the Net for an external laptop fan, the USB kind that sits under the
laptop (oh, and a replacement dialup modem). In the meantime, I
currently have a desktop fan faced toward mine, and it's definitely
helping.

The thing to remember about fans is they don't "cool" like an air
conditioning. They only blow hot air around. Our ongoing job is to
make sure our fans have the easiest time possible shoving hot air
*_out and away from_* our machines.

Just thinking out loud... :)

Cindy :)

--