Re: how to make bootable live wheezy USB that doesn't use isohybrid

   > I'd like to make a live wheezy USB dongle. I followed the
   > instructions on
   >
   >    https://www.debian.org/CD/faq/#write-usb
   >
   > to make a live USB from
   >
   >    http://cdimage.debian.org/mirror/cdimage/archive/7.11.0-live/amd64/iso-hybrid/debian-live-7.11.0-amd64-standard.iso
   >
   > but apparently my machine, an older Dell Poweredge R815, won't boot
   > from isohybrid. Can someone point me to a howto for making a bootable
   > live wheezy USB dongle that doesn't use isohybrid?

   Not familiar with that model.  Will it boot from the USB
   port?  I'm assuming it will.  Seems new enough for that feature.
   So check the drive boot order and change as required.

It will boot MSDOS from a fat32 formatted USB dongle. But apparently, it won't
boot an isohybrid formatted USB dongle. It has nothing to do with drive boot
order. If I create a USB dongle with

   # cd /tmp
   # wget http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/dists/jessie/main/installer-amd64/current/images/hd-media/boot.img.gz
   # wget http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/8.5.0+nonfree/amd64/iso-cd/firmware-8.5.0-amd64-netinst.iso
   # zcat boot.img.gz >/dev/sdf
   # mount /dev/sdf /mnt
   # cp firmware-8.5.0-amd64-netinst.iso /mnt/.
   # umount /mnt

the R815 will detect and boot from the resulting USB dongle. If I create a USB
dongle with

   # cd /tmp
   # wget http://cdimage.debian.org/mirror/cdimage/archive/7.11.0-live/amd64/iso-hybrid/debian-live-7.11.0-amd64-standard.iso
   # cp debian-live-7.11.0-amd64-standard.iso /def/sdf

the R815 will not detect and not boot from the resulting USB dongle. If I do

   # cd /tmp
   # wget http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/dists/jessie/main/installer-amd64/current/images/hd-media/boot.img.gz
   # wget http://cdimage.debian.org/mirror/cdimage/archive/7.11.0-live/amd64/iso-hybrid/debian-live-7.11.0-amd64-standard.iso
   # zcat boot.img.gz >/dev/sdf
   # mount /dev/sdf /mnt
   # cp debian-live-7.11.0-amd64-standard.iso /def/sdf
   # umount /mnt

will this be able to boot a live wheezy?

    Jeff (http://engineering.purdue.edu/~qobi)