Re: how to make bootable live wheezy USB that doesn't use isohybrid

On Tue 14 Jun 2016 at 08:50:28 -0400, Jeffrey Mark Siskind wrote:

> I'd like to make a live wheezy USB dongle. I followed the instructions on
>
>    https://www.debian.org/CD/faq/#write-usb
>
> to make a live USB from
>
>    http://cdimage.debian.org/mirror/cdimage/archive/7.11.0-live/amd64/iso-hybrid/debian-live-7.11.0-amd64-standard.iso
>
> but apparently my machine, an older Dell Poweredge R815, won't boot from
> isohybrid. Can someone point me to a howto for making a bootable live wheezy
> USB dongle that doesn't use isohybrid?

1. Make two partitions on the dongle. One big enough to hold GRUB's
   files and the other sufficient for the -amd64-standard.iso.

2. Format the smaller partition vfat.

3. Install GRUB to the MBR of the dongle and with its files on the
   formatted partition.

4. dd, cp or cat the -amd64-standard.iso to the second partition.

5. Write a grub.cfg. Here is one of mine you can adopt:

      menuentry "Debian Live KDE" {
      search --label --set=root "Debian Wheezy 20131014-01:18"
      linux /live/vmlinuz2 boot=live config quiet splash
      initrd /live/initrd2.img
      }

   uuid is an alternative you could use to 'label'.