Re: Big dummy at work again

On Sunday 12 June 2016 15:37:17 Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Sunday 12 June 2016 06:08:54 Lisi Reisz wrote:
> > On Sunday 12 June 2016 01:49:27 Gene Heskett wrote:
> > > 2
> > > firefox
> > > firefox-esr
> > > And esr is a version 45 something, figuratively speaking, a few
> > > months long in the tooth.
> >
> > They are different.  Uninstall the one you don't want.  esr is long
> > term support.
> >
> > # aptitude purge firefox-esr
> > (since that seems to be the one you don't want).  Or equivalent.  I
> > don't know the correct apt-get incantation for purge, and as you
> > probably wouldn't use it, I won't for now bother looking it up.  In
> > Synaptic you probably find it in the installed list, and tick* it for
> > removal.
> >
> > Lisi
> > * "tick" - across-the-pond-speak for one of the meanings of "check"
>
> Its a multiple choice popup.  Here I would select the remove, but either
> one tears the system down with the deps it would also remove.
>
> Cheers, Gene Heskett

So use aptitude:

root@Tux-II:/home/lisi# aptitude -s purge firefox-esr
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  firefox-esr{p}
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B of archives. After unpacking 97.4 MB will be freed.
 iceweasel : Depends: firefox-esr but it is not going to be installed.
 firefox-esr-l10n-en-gb : Depends: firefox-esr (>= 45.2.0esr-1~deb7u1) but it
is not going to be installed.
                          Depends: firefox-esr (< 45.2.0esr-1~deb7u1.1~) but
it is not going to be installed.

     Remove the following packages:
1)     firefox-esr-l10n-en-gb
2)     iceweasel
3)     iceweasel-l10n-en-gb

Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?] q
Abandoning all efforts to resolve these dependencies.
Abort.
root@Tux-II:/home/lisi#

(Done with Konsole on a very large screen, black on white,  17 point Bitstream
Vera Sans Mono.)

(-s means show me what you would do - but don't actually do it.  I may
actually do it now.  I'll see.)

Lisi