Adding Desktop files

Dear debian users,

I've been trying to get a custom desktop file to work nicely with Gnome's system, so that I can press Super and type "blender", and/or dock it to the menu for easy access, instead of having to navigate to that desktop file.

I followed the instructions to compile blender from source, and it comes with a .desktop file that wouldn't work because it assumes blender is installed as a system default; I've edited the command to include the absolute path to the compiled blender executable, and it works. (I've attached the desktop file)

However, even after moving that .desktop file into ~/.local/applications/ and rebooting, the Super dash can't find blender - not even when clicking "Show Applications > All".

Anyone know how to do this?

Kind regards,
Tama McGlinn
Game developer