Re: Adding Desktop files

On Sat, 2016-06-11 at 20:29 +0000, Tama McGlinn wrote:
> Dear debian users,
>
> I've been trying to get a custom desktop file to work nicely with
> Gnome's
> system, so that I can press Super and type "blender", and/or dock it
> to the
> menu for easy access, instead of having to navigate to that desktop
> file.
>
> I followed the instructions to compile blender from source
> <https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Doc/Building_Blender>, and it
> comes
> with a .desktop file that wouldn't work because it assumes blender is
> installed as a system default; I've edited the command to include the
> absolute path to the compiled blender executable, and it works. (I've
> attached the desktop file)
>
> However, even after moving that .desktop file into
> ~/.local/applications/
> and rebooting, the Super dash can't find blender - not even when
> clicking
> "Show Applications > All".
>
> Anyone know how to do this?

I tried the .desktop file on my system, just replaced the line that
says "Exec=/home/carmen/code/blender-git/build_linux/bin/blender &"
with an executable on my system, and it shows up fine.

Might be a problem with your blender binary not being marked as
executable?

(Reboot should never be necessary, valid desktop files should be picked
up by the shell during runtime.)

HTH,

--
Cheers,