Re: Linux startup, Wheezy -- a required script won't run on startup, but can run manually without any trouble

On 10/06/2016 6:02 AM, Brian wrote:
> Your premable was enough:
>
>   In the Solaris world and most SYSV systems like it, there was a very
>   simple startup system; it was not systemd, nor is it the "modern day
>   sysvinit.  It was much simpler and worked very, very well and extremely
>   reliably.  How can we get that back on modern Debian?
>
> Is that the sort of introduction one expexts to see when technical help
> is being sought. Stating a problem needn't start with a philosphical
> statement.

Okay, but philosophical or not; what I had in the Solaris days worked,
it was very reliable.

What I have now is that with some extra "smarts" that stops the original
concept from working as intended.  The smarts is meant to allow for
faster startup and to tie in dependancies; to me, it is trying to be too
smart and that is where the problem lies.

I see within the /etc/init.d/ scripts that there is all this extra junk
at the top and there are .depend.* files in that directory too.  I am
thinking that these extras are the reason why it isn't running the
script at startup as expected.  Those extras weren't not part of the
more original sysv init setup; and, it may be why lots of Debian and
other people decided that the sysvinit was broken (due to the extras)...
and hence why we ended up with systemd.  In any case, I'm not right now
trying to argue for anything in particular even though I've done so in
the past.  Right now, all I want is my script to run as intended and I
need to know how it needs to be adjusted to work.

Thanks
AndrewM