Re: First hint as to why kaffeine won't rx tv

On Sunday 05 June 2016 18:35:34 deloptes wrote:

> Lisi Reisz wrote:

> >> Yes.

> >> How about tickling the TDE developers?
> >
> > Worth a try - but there are very few of them, and Wheezy is probably
> > not their
> > priority either.  I'll try to understand your problem - I haven't
> > really - and test it in Jessie.  But you'll need to tickle me later
> > in the week.
> >
> > :-( If it is present in Jessie too, or if it is easy, then they will
> >
> > probably do
> > something.  (As you are using 14.0.4 it is probably worth anyway
> > making sure that Slávek knows.)
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Lisi
>
> If there is a program that works on your pc with the dvb card, it
> means all is fine. You just need to find the program that works, so
> ... just matter of time to watch tv on the pc.
>
> You can try VLC and KMplayer. Kaffeine is Xine in the back AFAIR and
> it changed, so that its already incompat or kaffeine in trinity needs
> to be updated.
>
> xawtv never worked except for teletext.
>
> I've been never able to use Analog and DVB-T with other program than
> kplayer (the KDE3 version 0.6 branch).
> For that reason and because I got used to it and loved it that much I
> ported to new TDE and uploaded the code - I think it was accepted and
> may be out with 14.1.
>
> Until 2012 when I was living in the city I was using first the Analog
> and then DVB-T. For DVB-T I had to provide the list with local
> stations somewhere in the config of kplayer (I thing it was as option
> to mplayer) and they (the channels) appeared in the select list.
> Unfortunately we moved out and there is no good signal here, so we
> stopped watching TV - and we feel even better now :)
>
> regards

Chuckle, point taken.  I don't watch very much of it these days, but
spent from 1963  to 2002/06/30 keeping several tv stations on the air in
engineering positions up to Chief Engineer from 1977 on to retirement.
This was not pushing paper, but getting my hands dirty fixing anything
that broke.  I have what used to be a 1st phone, till the commission
threw us under the bus and gunned it away, but the most impressive card
in my wallet yet, is a C.E.T. card.  Certified Electronics Technician.
Registered in Nebraska as #116 in the state.  Several of the state
schools have programs that culminate in taking the test but few actually
pass, IMO from inadequate teaching staff.  When I went to test in 1972,
I never cracked a book, walked in cold & walked out with a Journeyman
level card since my electronics history in 1972 was already 24 years in
the field. They give 4 hrs to do the test, I had an upset tummy, likely
from that years flu, so I was on the throne 3 times in about the 1:30 it
took to fill in the blocks for 125 questions.  Handing in the test
sheets, the profs eyebowes went up an inch as he didn't think any one
could do it that quick.  Said you have lots more time & I said I had
work to do and that was as good as I could do on short notice.  The went
up another inch when he dropped the grade check sheet on it and only 2
weren't black.

I have in the past, had fun with the frogs (with EE's on the office wall)
standing around telling me it can't be done, while I am busy doing it.
The looks on their faces when they understand that I did do as I said,
and it worked, was like Mastercard, priceless.  But today, thats just
living in the past, darn it.  I never dreamed I'd live this long, but it
sure was a fun ride when my body was able to enjoy it.

Best Regards, Deloptes.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)