Re: First hint as to why kaffeine won't rx tv

On Sunday 05 June 2016 12:00:59 Lisi Reisz wrote:

> On Sunday 05 June 2016 15:00:54 Gene Heskett wrote:
> > >
> > > Kaffeine-Trinity, I take it?
> >
> > Yes.

> > > You can't.  Security fixes only.
> >
> > How about tickling the TDE developers?
>
> Worth a try - but there are very few of them, and Wheezy is probably
> not their priority either.  I'll try to understand your problem - I
> haven't really - and test it in Jessie.  But you'll need to tickle me
> later in the week. :-( If it is present in Jessie too, or if it is
> easy, then they will probably do something.  (As you are using 14.0.4
> it is probably worth anyway making sure that Slávek knows.)

He is not copying the mail of this list? I was under the impression that
he was, so he could grease the loudest squeak. :)

We've just had our last wheezy update, but at this point I believe jessie
would also have this problem, with this card.  I have no idea how much
longer it will take to make a fully functional, actually runs machinery,
version of a later jessie kernel.  That kernel will likely be a 32 bit
kernel because a context switch on 64 bit is 4x longer than a 32 bit
version, and those realtime patches also kill any PAE functions it might
claim.  And each new kernel seems to have less and less concern for its
effects on realtime performance, I think by the time jessie is EOL'd,
that we will all be forced to disconnect from the network and freeze our
systems that are doing stepper motors direct from the rapidly
disappearing parport, or we will all have to buy more copies of an FPGA
card that offloads the realtime stuff from the kernel, as long as we can
get a 1 millisecond loop to oversee what the machine is doing and issue
corrective orders to the card.  The card I am using 2 of ATM is about
$90, so its not a back-breaker, and it can run my machines faster and
smoother to boot.

Regards, Lisi.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)