Re: Pursuant to my efforts to remove, and update the remaining :amd64 built packages

On Friday 03 June 2016 14:09:21 Jörg-Volker Peetz wrote:

> Hi,

> Gene Heskett wrote on 06/03/16 13:14:

> > Greetings all;

> > I re-added the amd64 architecture to the architecture's in

> > dpkg/synaptic, but the package -> force-version remains stubbornly

> > ghosted, so I cannot fix any broken patckages that are preventing

> > the install of any updates.

> > So I try to have dpkg remove the amd64 aarchitecture, but now get a

> > database is locked error. The system is working, quite stably, but

> Using aptitude I would command

> aptitude purge '~ramd64'

Strange, a tilde in place of a - sign. I had to stare at that a while before it registered. :)

This claims there are more than 40 and refuses.

> and maybe

> aptitude purge '~c'

Spits out a list of 109 files, which will likely destroy the system. I did not allow it to continue.

Does it also have an install command that would install the i386 versions? That IS what this install originally was.

> which should remove leftover config files from packages previously

> removed.

> Then again

> dpkg --remove-architecture amd64

Already done that, but had to use a text editor on the arch file. dpkg refused, claiming the database was busy. And I rebooted after I did that.

> Regards,

> jvp.

> > cannot update anything. A dpkg -C spits out about 60 files in

> > error, all tagged :amd64.

So I can't count, it was over a screenfull. :)

> > What are the steps I should take to fix this?

> > Cheers, Gene Heskett

Thanks JVP.

Cheers, Gene Heskett

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)