Pursuant to my efforts to remove, and update the remaining :amd64 built packages

Greetings all;

I re-added the amd64 architecture to the architecture's in dpkg/synaptic,
but the package -> force-version remains stubbornly ghosted, so I cannot
fix any broken patckages that are preventing the install of any updates.

So I try to have dpkg remove the amd64 aarchitecture, but now get a
database is locked error.  The system is working, quite stably, but I
cannot update anything.  A dpkg -C spits out about 60 files in error,
all tagged :amd64.

What are the steps I should take to fix this?

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)