CUPS under jessie

CUPS seems to be the standard printing SW used by Linux, or at least
by Debian.  But my CUPS is totally broken and I'd like to get rid of
it all and reinstall.  So I ran apt-get purge cups, but there
are still lots of cups-related files on my system, like in
/etc/cups/, /usr/lib/cups, /usr/share/cups, and likely other
places as well.

How do I make sure that my system is cups-clean, before I reinstall?

[ Background: I have a Canon 4770n three-in-one, connected to my
computer by a USB cable.  It is a very handsome piece of machinery,
it worked fine when I ran wheezy, but now that I've moved to jessie,
the printing part doesn't work at all.  However, the scanning capability
works just fine, as does the copying, which is of course independent of
the computer.  ]

I would be very grateful for any aid.  Just to show how bad things
are:  I try to access  http://localhost:631 on my iceweasel and I get
the message:  Unable to connect.    ? ? ? ?    Aaaarrrrgghhh!!

Alan

--
Alan McConnell :  http://globaltap.com/~alan/
    The beauty of an object, a song, or a dance can never be altogether