Re: CUPS under jessie

On 2016-06-03, Alan McConnell <alan@his.com> wrote:
> CUPS seems to be the standard printing SW used by Linux, or at least
> by Debian.  But my CUPS is totally broken and I'd like to get rid of
> it all and reinstall.  So I ran apt-get purge cups, but there
> are still lots of cups-related files on my system, like in
> /etc/cups/, /usr/lib/cups, /usr/share/cups, and likely other
> places as well.
>
> How do I make sure that my system is cups-clean, before I reinstall?
>
> [ Background: I have a Canon 4770n three-in-one, connected to my
> computer by a USB cable.  It is a very handsome piece of machinery,
> it worked fine when I ran wheezy, but now that I've moved to jessie,
> the printing part doesn't work at all.  However, the scanning capability
> works just fine, as does the copying, which is of course independent of
> the computer.  ]
>
> I would be very grateful for any aid.  Just to show how bad things
> are:  I try to access  http://localhost:631 on my iceweasel and I get
> the message:  Unable to connect.    ? ? ? ?    Aaaarrrrgghhh!!
>
> Alan

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/CUPS/Troubleshooting#Problems_resulting_from_upgrades

Who knows, might help, if you haven't already explored solutions less
radical than outright expurgation.

--
Hypertext--or should I say the ideology of hypertext?--is ultrademocratic and
so entirely in harmony with the demagogic appeals to cultural democracy that