Re: Syslog-NG

On Fri, 03 Jun 2016 07:42:46 +0100
David <david.g_jones@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> Dear Group,
>
> I am running Syslog-ng on a Raspberry Pi, it stores the data sent to
> it on a 64G memory stick. It's working very well.
>
> I retrieve the syslog file by SSHing into the Pi and copying the file
> to my main PC.
>
> The problem I have is that the file has now grown to 3.7G and normal
> text editors wont open it.
>
> Can anybody recommend a text editor or text viewer that will work with
> large files?

If all else fails, you can cut the file into chunks. The split and cat
utilities are one way to break and join files.

> The solution going forward is to get Syslog-ng to start a new file
> every month, anybody know if this is possible?

Logrotate is the log management utility, syslog-ng doesn't need to deal
with this. The syslog-ng on my server saves to standard /var/log system
files, so that all happens automatically.

If you're saving to a specific new file, you need a new logrotate.conf
entry, preferably a new file in /etc/logrotate.d.

--
Joe