Re: enable telnetd?

On 06/03/2016 05:20 AM, Felix Miata wrote:
[snip]
> When I wrote, I hadn't yet learned that the problem that made me want to
> use Telnet was known, and a patch already submitted, but not yet
> included in an update available on the mirrors:
> https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/3339
[snip]

> Dan Purgert composed on 2016-06-02 19:57 (UTC):
>> Would a serial console (i.e. /dev/ttyS0) suit your needs?
>
> Probably not well, something yet else to configure that I haven't needed
> to do in more than two decades, another cable to locate and connect, and
> likely for a one time only use. Or can serial connection be shared over
> existing ethernet?

If the machines have two serial ports, they can be grouped pairs such
that the serial console of one is connected to the second port of the
other.  Then you can do just about everything except turn the power on
again (unless you have Wake-on-LAN set up too) from the other machine
using cu, tip, or minicom or screen.  But anything you can do from the
console itself you can then do from the other machine in the pair.

If it was just a matter of having a different daemon available to the
outside world (or other machines on the LAN) then maybe you could have
had the dropbear SSH daemon running on another port.  If some of the
system is not working maybe the shell could be busybox, but I don't know
if that would work for you in this situation.

Regards,
Lars