Re: enable telnetd?

Dan Purgert composed on 2016-06-02 19:57 (UTC):

Felix Miata wrote:

I have no interest in answers explaining ssh and security risk. These are
understood. All I'm interested in is capturing dmesg and logs from a test
installation while normal logins are busy with segfaulting or otherwise
inaccessible.

well, if /dev/tty# is shot because segfaulting (or otherwise
inaccessible), I wouldn't expect telnetd to help there any (unless
telnet uses a different pool of ttys).

Actually I would expect it to use a different "pool", but this is not a subject I know more than a trifle about.

When I wrote, I hadn't yet learned that the problem that made me want to use Telnet was known, and a patch already submitted, but not yet included in an update available on the mirrors:

IOW, current need is past, but I'd still like to know what's wrong and get it fixed for a possible next time.

Would a serial console (i.e. /dev/ttyS0) suit your needs?

Probably not well, something yet else to configure that I haven't needed to do in more than two decades, another cable to locate and connect, and likely for a one time only use. Or can serial connection be shared over existing ethernet?

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/