enable telnetd?

Google cannot provide an answer to configuring telnetd WRT Debian, only WRT every other distro on the planet. When I try to login after installing telnetd and seeing xinetd enabled, login name is always greeted with "Login incorrect". Telnet login works in openSUSE and Fedora via /etc/pam.d/remote, but that file is missing in Stretch, and copying one from openSUSE doesn't have any apparent effect.

I have no interest in answers explaining ssh and security risk. These are understood. All I'm interested in is capturing dmesg and logs from a test installation while normal logins are busy with segfaulting or otherwise inaccessible.

TIA

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/