Re: google-chrome-stable on Wheezy

Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> wrote:
> On 2016-05-31 21:03 +0200, Sven Hartge wrote:

>> Ah, I see. Google compiled Chrome with a newer C++ library and broke
>> the dependencies for Wheezy.

>> I guess they waited until Wheezy was no longer supported by Debian
>> outside of the LTS-Project and then dropped support for it.

> No, Google does not care about Debian release cycles.  The reason they
> stopped supporting Wheezy is because they need a newer C++ compiler
> and library with better C++11 support than offered by g++-4.7.

OK, fair enough.

>>> Seems I can not install google-chrome-stable on Wheezy anymore.
>>
>> Yes, seems that way.
>>
>> Only Chromium and Firefox remain.

> Chromium in Wheezy was EOL'd 16 months ago, for the same reason that
> there is no Google Chrome there:
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-security-announce/2015/msg00031.html.

Right, I misremembered and confused a different fact. Google at one time
said it would not intentionally remove the support for 32bit
architectures from the Chromium source, so that Distributions can still
compile it. But this is of course not valid for Google Chrome.

So the only remaining option for Wheezy is Firefox with Flash 11.2
(which is still supported by Adobe).

Again: time to update.

Grüße,
Sven.