console fonts and systemd (was ... Re: What can AppArmor do?)

On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 03:20:32PM -0500, David Wright wrote:
> On Tue 24 May 2016 at 01:13:34 (+1200), cbannister@slingshot.co.nz wrote:
> > On Sun, May 22, 2016 at 11:11:27AM +0100, Lisi Reisz wrote:
> > >
> > > But I am only using <quote from the configuration> us-ascii, iso-8859-1, utf-8
> > > (locale)  and utf-8</quote>, with a locale of en_GB.UTF-8, so not very
> > > abstruse in view of the fact that I have correspondents in, and therefore
> > > correspondence from, Japan, Greece and Israel in addition to the Anglo-Saxon
> > > countries.
> >
> > I'm running utf8 also, but if your font can't display the chars/glyphs then
> > it won't help.
>
> If I’m not mistaken, it’s *your* font that’s lacking the necessary
> glyphs, like ’. What is it, BTW?

I didn't think someone would read it that way. I was meaning "your" in a
general way, not explicitly meaning Lisi's font.

What is the systemd command to show the font being used on the console?
(hint ... /etc/vconsole.conf doesn't exist)

After a bit of googling, It seems to be done via the console-setup package
which I don't have installed! Weird.

So I installed the console-setup package and chose (eventually):

UTF <OK>
Guess optimal character set <OK>
TerminusBold <OK>
8x16 <OK>

and the wee squares disappeared (at least in this mail, I've deleted
the others in this thread.)

So, actually the answer to your question is that I have no idea what font
I was running on this system to give the "wee squares"

If I choose Terminus instead of TerminusBold, then the ’ changes to a sort
of D shape with a squiggle on top! I'm guessing the char was a right
side single curly quote, that you posted David?

Although, IIRC, the typographical single quotes and double quotes are a
rather peculiar case anyway.

--
The media's the most powerful entity on earth.
They have the power to make the innocent guilty