Delay at boot - network

Hello list,

I do not want to mourn, just searching for an info.

Can someone tell me, what has changed in the kernel (I believe, it is since
kernel 3.4, but do not know exactly), that the boot progress hangs about 1 -
1,5 minutes, when the network is started?

I am using /etc/network/interfaces witrh a static IP, so it should start fast
and not wait for something. In earlier kernels, there was no wait, just
straight boot.

Why the delay now? Would be happy, if someone could enlighten me, and maybe
give me a clue, if I can something configure to improve it.

And please, I do not want to mourn! Just want to know.

Ah, and I do NOT use network-manager (not installed), but wicd instead.

Thanks for reading this.

Best

Hans