Re: Plug and Pray; My Life with Linux Sound

Martin McCormick wrote:

> deloptes <deloptes@gmail.com> writes:
>> /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
>>
>> ## ALSA portion
>> alias char-major-116 snd
>> alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
>> alias snd-card-1 snd-usb-audio
>
> Thank you. While researching what these lines do, I ran
> across what is most likely the true nature of this problem although
> I am not there yet. I ran across the following on a wiki posting
> about setting up alsa-base.conf:

> Applications written for OSS can be made to work with ALSA by means of
>    either userspace emulation (using the aoss program loader) or
>    kernelspace emulation (the snd-*-oss drivers). However, you cannot use
>    both ALSA and OSS drivers at the same time.

> I jumped when I read that as both the sound-crippled
> systems have both OSS and alsa. OSS creates /dev/dspx which I do
> use for some programs I wrote in C that process audio. The
> mplayer program also uses /dev/dsp so when it doesn't work,
> that's really a bad deal.
>
> When both OSS and alsa modules are active, bad things
> happen so one should make sure the OSS modules aren't being
> loaded at the same time as the alsa snd- modules. On these
> systems, they are both present. The way to get rid of the OSS
> modules is to add a blacklist directive to
> alsa-base-blacklist.conf which reads as follows:
>
> install soundcore /bin/false
>
> I put that in and, voila, all the sound modules went away
> including the alsa modules.

The thing is that if one program uses oss, it blocks the rest - you should
use an oss wrapper - there is how to on the alsa wiki.

> $aplay -l
> aplay: device_list:252: no soundcards found...
>
> Always expect the worst and you'll never be disappointed.
>
> It could be that the two aliases I have for the sound
> cards are not pointing to the right module names and when they
> do, the modules will be pulled in.
>
> Despite the fact that neither system has yet to see a
> single sound card after blocking the OSS modules, I think I am on
> the trail to resolving the issue.
>
> Here are the alsa-base.conf contents.
>
> ## ALSA portion
> alias char-major-116 snd
> #the two actual sound cards on this system
> alias snd_card-0 snd-cs4236

I think dash is ok. You can try in addition some of the following - read the
docs about different options for your driver(s)

options snd-hda-intel index=0 model=ref enable_msi=1 enable=0,1
#options snd-hda-intel index=0 model=hp-dv5 enable_msi=1 position_fix=1
options snd-usb-audio index=1

> alias snd-card-1 snd-sbawe
> #Also tried snd_cs4236 with no change.
>         alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
>         alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
>         alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
>         alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
>         alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
> #
> #   Then the access to an OSS device file such as /dev/dsp0 triggers to
> #   load the necessary module via KMOD.
> #
> #   For auto-loading the secondary card device like /dev/dsp1, the
> #   following aliases are necessary in addition:
>         alias sound-service-1-0 snd-mixer-oss
>         alias sound-service-1-3 snd-pcm-oss
>         alias sound-service-1-12 snd-pcm-oss
> #part of original alsa-base.conf
> # autoloader aliases
> install sound-slot-0 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-0
> install sound-slot-1 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-1
> install sound-slot-2 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-2
> install sound-slot-3 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-3
> install sound-slot-4 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-4
> install sound-slot-5 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-5
> install sound-slot-6 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-6
> install sound-slot-7 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-7
> # Cause optional modules to be loaded above generic modules
> install snd /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd && { /sbin/modprobe
> --quiet snd-ioctl32 ; /sbin/modprobe --quiet snd-seq ; } install
> snd-rawmidi /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-rawmidi && {
> /sbin/modprobe --quiet snd-seq-midi ; : ; } install snd-emu10k1
> /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-emu10k1 && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet
> snd-emu10k1-synth ; : ; }
>
> # Prevent abnormal drivers from grabbing index 0
> options bt87x index=-2
> options cx88_alsa index=-2
> options snd-atiixp-modem index=-2
> options snd-intel8x0m index=-2
> options snd-via82xx-modem index=-2
> # Keep snd-pcsp from beeing loaded as first soundcard
> options snd-pcsp index=-2
> # Keep snd-usb-audio from beeing loaded as first soundcard
> options snd-usb-audio index=-2
> #using module names that are known to exist
> options snd_cs4236 index=0
> options snd_sbawe index=1
>
> lsmod shows no sound modules at all.

I think you should setup oss wrapper in your asoundrc

regards