Re: /etc/init.d/networking does not start everything in /etc/network/interfaces

On Tuesday 17 May 2016 10:38:52 Elimar Riesebieter wrote:

> * Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> [2016-05-17 09:56 -0400]:
> > On Tuesday 17 May 2016 09:08:55 tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > > In my opinion, a warning is in order ("this might not be doing
> > > what you think it does"), but deprecated seems exaggerated to me.
> > >
> > > regards
> > >
> > > [1] Schocking Truth! Not everything seen on the Internet is true!
> > >
> > > -- tomás
> >
> > About 4th or 5th down in that list of hits, this one labeled for
> > debian, is a bit long winded  but finishes up recommending one edit
> > his personal .bash-aliases file to contain this:
> >
> > alias netrestart="sudo nohup sh -c 'invoke-rc.d networking stop;
> > date; echo sleeping; sleep 2; echo waking; date; invoke-rc.d
> > networking start'"
> >
> > Is that simple?  Elegant and correct?  No, if the networking script
> > was broken, its still broken!
>
> Again, I recommend to read [0] and [1].
>
> [0] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=550240

Looks like mine has been "fixed" by the removal of the hotplug stuff.  I
do not see that as a disadvantage, udev can do that much unwanted damage
all by itself.

> [1]
> https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkIn
>terfaceNames/

And this falls over in its morning oatmeal if the box you installed on
turns out to be a dud, so you go  get another box and just move the hard
drive because you've already moved 20 megs worth of gcode you don't want
to do again if you reinstall on the newer box.  udev remembers the old
interface and very helpfully dreams up a new name for it, without
reaching into the interfaces file to correct the port names there.  Or
advising the user about it unless he goes crawling thru the logs.  You
get no warning other than the networking can't be brought up that worked
perfectly on the box with an AMD Family 15 cpu with an unfixable halt
bug because it doesn't yet do a microcode update at the family 15 time
point.  That non-warned about renaming is not an excusable behavior.
But it took me 2 days to fix it each time I moved the drive because I
had to come here and hope for an answer each time.  I learned a lot
thanks to the kind folks here, but I fail to grok the reason for that
behavior in the first place.  Because of some rare condition, you make
all the other users with a less rare condition suffer?

> Elimar

Thank Elimar.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)