Re: /etc/init.d/networking does not start everything in /etc/network/interfaces

On Tuesday 17 May 2016 15:38:52 Elimar Riesebieter wrote:
> * Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> [2016-05-17 09:56 -0400]:
> > On Tuesday 17 May 2016 09:08:55 tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > > In my opinion, a warning is in order ("this might not be doing
> > > what you think it does"), but deprecated seems exaggerated to me.
> > >
> > > regards
> > >
> > > [1] Schocking Truth! Not everything seen on the Internet is true!
> > >
> > > -- tomás
> >
> > About 4th or 5th down in that list of hits, this one labeled for debian,
> > is a bit long winded  but finishes up recommending one edit his
> > personal .bash-aliases file to contain this:
> >
> > alias netrestart="sudo nohup sh -c 'invoke-rc.d networking stop; date;
> > echo sleeping; sleep 2; echo waking; date; invoke-rc.d networking
> > start'"
> >
> > Is that simple?  Elegant and correct?  No, if the networking script was
> > broken, its still broken!
>
> Again, I recommend to read [0] and [1].
>
> [0] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=550240
> [1]
> https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkInterfa
>ceNames/

Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.  Why would someone who is running
Wheezy without systemd need [1]?  By the time cnc, or whatever Gene's special
milling software is called, is using Jessie, or even Stretch, and systemd,
the world may have been blown up - or things may simply have changed again.

Lisi