RE: /etc/init.d/networking does not start everything in /etc/network/interfaces

Hi Elimar,

>> On Tuesday 17 May 2016 09:08:55 tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
>>
>[...]
>> > In my opinion, a warning is in order ("this might not be doing what
>> > you think it does"), but deprecated seems exaggerated to me.
>> >
>> > regards
>> >
>> > [1] Schocking Truth! Not everything seen on the Internet is true!
>> >
>> > -- tomás
>>
>> About 4th or 5th down in that list of hits, this one labeled for
>> debian, is a bit long winded  but finishes up recommending one edit
>> his personal .bash-aliases file to contain this:
>>
>> alias netrestart="sudo nohup sh -c 'invoke-rc.d networking stop; date;
>> echo sleeping; sleep 2; echo waking; date; invoke-rc.d networking
>> start'"
>>
>> Is that simple?  Elegant and correct?  No, if the networking script
>> was broken, its still broken!
>
> Again, I recommend to read [0] and [1].

I (re)read those just now, I think I read it before.
I still think this will change my interface name(s) when I swap a defective board for a new one as udev will see new interface(s).
The solution will probably still be the same, kill the 70-persistent-net.rules file and do a reboot / restart.

I have never seen a interface name change without a hardware change. And with udev enabled I have NEVER had the right change and needed to do some delete / edit of the udev 70-* file to get the "proper" interface name for my (firewall) scripts that use interface names.
So I don’t understand what the improvement is, there will probably be some in specific cases, just not in my case I think. Instead of rewriting all my scripts I will probably edit the 70-* udev file to create my familiar ethX names.

> [0] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=550240
> [1] https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames/

Bonno Bloksma