Re: need to make an eth0:1 net interface

Hi Gene,

On Mon, May 16, 2016 at 09:09:15PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Monday 16 May 2016 15:55:33 Brian wrote:
> > On Mon 16 May 2016 at 14:45:12 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > > Thanks for the interest Andy, but I got it working and its been
> > > re-installed in place of the router that wasn't properly blocking
> > > stuff.

It's always good to know what the problem actually was, and the
solution, neither of which was clear from your initial email.

> > So what was the ":1" about? And did it play any part in your solution?
> > It was, after all, a feature of your of your original message.
> >
> > Glad you got it working in some unknown way.
>
> That was an attempt to make use of the eth0 interface by adding the :1
> that responded to the usual 192.168.1.X block of addresses.

Okay, so I did guess correctly that your problem was in being able
to talk to a device that was on 192.168.1.1 when your own network
does not include that IP address.

> That of course did NOT work.

There's no reason why that way couldn't be made to work, so if
anyone else is trying to do this in that way in future, don't be
discouraged.

> So, I wound up with this in /etc/network/interfaces:
> iface eth0 inet static
> address 192.168.71.3
> netmask 255.255.255.0
> gateway 192.168.71.1
>
> iface eth1 inet static
> address 192.168.1.3
> netmask 255.255.255.0
> gateway 192.168.1.1

Assuming you do actually have an eth1 (most people don't, and even
one Ethernet device is getting rarer, as more things go to
wifi-only), again there is no reason why this shouldn't work.
Although this doesn't look like a full interfaces file as it is
missing "auto eth0" and "auto eth1".

> But the networking script in /etc/init.d, true to its word, would not
> bring up eth1 on a restart, so that required an "sudo ifconfig eth1 up",
> followed by a 'sudo ifconfig -a' which then returned:

ifconfig is deprecated and we should really be using the "ip"
command now, though as you've found ifconfig can still be made to
work.

It appears in your case that restarting networking has done
*something* as your eth1 interface has the address and
netmask you set in the interfaces file, but wasn't actually brought
up. Your subsequent ifconfig commands bring up the interface and
then display all interfaces and we then see it is configured
correctly:

> eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:1f:c6:63:07:97
>           inet addr:192.168.1.3  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
>           UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>           RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>           TX packets:51 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>           collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
>           RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:38903 (37.9 KiB)

So, I think we could have made it work with /etc/network/interfaces
alone.

I suspect that the entire thing could have been achieved with:

# ip address add 192.168.1.3/24 dev eth0

to begin with.

> Everything but ARP is happy.  It doesn't seem to me as if ARP has to
> query and refresh the whole network every 30 seconds with a new batch of
> who-has #.#.#.#, tell 192.168.71.1 queries.

Adjusting ARP timers may be too low-level a feature for a consumer
router. You may have to reinstall it with Open-WRT or similar to get
access to those settings. Myself, I'd probably just not worry about
it if everything else is working, as the traffic is minimal. :)

Cheers,
Andy