-Re: configuring softwarecollections.org repository on debian jessie

Le jeudi 12 mai 2016, 21:55:24 Liam O'Toole a écrit :

> On 2016-05-12, soko.tica <soko.tica@gmail.com> wrote:

> > --001a1146456672df2d0532a72b01

> > Hello list,

> > I need to install a package (php54) on a VM running debian jessie (Here is

> > why https://www.virtualmin.com/documentation/web/multiplephp ). I have

> > managed to install rhscl-php54-epel-6-x86_64-1-2.noarch.rpm through alien

> > package, but don't know how to isntall

> > php54 php54-php-mysqlnd. Repo rhscl isn't in /etc/apt/sources.list but in

> > /etc/yum.repos.d/ and I wasn't able to find php54 php54-php-mysqlnd. Any

> > help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

> You are trying to install Red Hat packages on a Debian OS. What's more,

> you are tring to install packages from Red Hat Software Collections,

> which require manipulation of their environment to run properly. You'd

> be much better off doing that on a CentOS machine.

> Otherwise, prepare to enter a world of pain. :)

If alien (which is a Debian software, isn't it) says you can, why not? You just need to be careful, trying a fake install first (dpkg --noinstall --no-act). I switched to Debian for that kind of safety, being tired to note all my changes and go back painfully afterwards. I remember (1998-99) when I installed gnome-0.nn ten times! But I can't live without BSD-games ( try "cal 09 1752" (even MacOsX has it) and "pom 2712" it's unforgettable) nor without xanim to read old Quicktime CDs from an USB stick! I don't think Debian needs worship!

Jacques