Re: openvpn start failed and Jessie

On Sex, 13 Mai 2016, Bonno Bloksma wrote:
Today I had a Jessie system where I made a little mistake with the openvpn config file name and after a restart of the service it did not come back, off course.
Off course it did not come back either after a full reboot of the system.

A colleage went to the system, we found the typo in the config file name (client.cinf in stead of client.conf) Strangely it did not come back after a service openvpn restart nor after a service openvpn stop ; service openvpn start
Even stranger I could not find anything in the syslog about openvpn.

Now this might have something to do with the new system environment which seems to (try) to do some smart thing with *.conf files that exist at startup.
But...
1) Is there no other way to resolve this, other than a reboot?
2) As there was absolutely nothing in syslog, is there another place I should have looked about the service (re)start problem?

Try "systemctl daemon-reload", this causes systemd to reread configuration files. If it is looking for the openvpn .conf files, this might cause it to see the changed files.

You can control individual vpns using the service "openvpn@<name>", so you can try "systemctl start openvpn@client".

Lastly, you could also try "systemctl status openvpn" and "systemctl status openvpn@client".

--
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI