Re: mutt attachment error

On Wed, 11 May 2016 11:12:26 -0400
Haines Brown <haines@histomat.net> wrote:

> I took a look at /usr/share/doc/exim4/README.Debian.gz and found that
> to use a macro to change a default configuration value I need to
> define the new value in a local configuration file. I have a non-split
> configuration, and so it seems I must create a
> /etc/exim4/exim4.conf.localmacros file.
>
> The document says that if present this file is read before the
> exim4.conf.template file. I don't understand. Wouldn't reading the
> template file subsequently to it just overwrite my custom value with
> the default value?
>
> In this localmacros file it seems that I simply need the line
> MESSAGE_SIZE_LIMIT=200MB to redefine maximum message size from the
> default 50 MB to 200MB. I'm unsure of the syntax here. Is "MB"
> acceptable? Need it be separated from the number by a space? The
> document seems to say that for answers to such questions I should read
> the Exim Specification 6.4. It does not tell me where this
> specification is to be found.
>
> Another point of confusion is that MESSAGE_SIZE_LIMIT is referred to
> as a macro, but in context it seems more just a variable. To set a
> custom value, do I have to write an entire macro from scratch, which
> seems implied by the text, or merely set the value of a variable,
> which is implied by the example?

The reason that macros are used is the answer to your first question:
the macros are referred to and expanded at various points in the
exim.conf.template file. They are generally not macros in the
programming sense, in terms of being entire functions, they are simply
labels which are replaced by values, normally fairly simple values.
Often they are switches to enable an optional feature.

Here's my mail server local macros:

CHECK_RCPT_LOCAL_ACL_CODE = "/etc/exim4/banned_countries"
CHECK_MAIL_HELO_ISSUED = yes
SMTP_ACCEPT_MAX_PER_HOST = 3
CHECK_RCPT_VERIFY_SENDER = yes
CHECK_RCPT_REVERSE_DNS = yes
MAIN_LOG_SELECTOR = +ident_timeout +smtp_confirmation +smtp_connection

If you search exim.conf.template, you will find all these labels. They
will be contained in .ifdef...endif statements to check whether they
exist already, and will usually be assigned default values if not found.

The template file is also pretty much a man page, with a lot of
comments. You can go through it, look at the macro labels and mostly see
what you need to put in your local macro to override the default. One
exception is, as it happens, MESSAGE_SIZE_LIMIT which is referenced but
does not set a default, so you can't see the syntax you need, but Sven
has answered that one.

--
Joe