Re: mutt attachment error

Haines Brown <haines@histomat.net> wrote:

> I took a look at /usr/share/doc/exim4/README.Debian.gz and found that to
> use a macro to change a default configuration value I need to define the
> new value in a local configuration file. I have a non-split
> configuration, and so it seems I must create a
> /etc/exim4/exim4.conf.localmacros file.

Correct.

> The document says that if present this file is read before the
> exim4.conf.template file. I don't understand. Wouldn't reading the
> template file subsequently to it just overwrite my custom value with
> the default value?

If this where the case, the whole system the Exim4 DDs put in would be
pointless, wouldn't it?

It all is designed in such a way that you put your values into
/etc/exim4/exim4.conf.localmacros and the config-generator then puts it
all together, using your values.

> In this localmacros file it seems that I simply need the line
> MESSAGE_SIZE_LIMIT=200MB to redefine maximum message size from the
> default 50 MB to 200MB. I'm unsure of the syntax here. Is "MB"
> acceptable? Need it be separated from the number by a space? The
> document seems to say that for answers to such questions I should read
> the Exim Specification 6.4. It does not tell me where this specification
> is to be found.

The specification is here: /usr/share/doc/exim4/spec.txt.gz

Macros are defined as follows:

 <name> = <rest of line>

As for the specific value for message_size_limit: You have to omit the
'B':

 MESSAGE_SIZE_LIMIT = 200M

> Another point of confusion is that MESSAGE_SIZE_LIMIT is referred to
> as a macro, but in context it seems more just a variable. To set a
> custom value, do I have to write an entire macro from scratch, which
> seems implied by the text, or merely set the value of a variable,
> which is implied by the example?

MESSAGE_SIZE_LIMIT is a macro used by the Debian Exim4 configuration
system. It later gets put into the Exim4 config variable
"message_size_limit".

Depending on what config variable you want to set, you have to look into
the Debian-provided exim4.conf.template, if there is already code to
handle it and then set the appropriate macro to enable the Debian Exim4
config to work.

If not, you can just put the variable into the localmacro file (If it is a
global configuration option. Please see the spec.txt.gz to find out what
options are global.)

All that said: Mail and Exim4 is a complex topic and before you do
anything more involved you should know how everything works together.

Exim can power anything from a small leaf site to a large ISP with
multiple servers.

Only surpassed by sendmail, I think Exim4 is the most versatile
(opensource) MTA out there there. But this versatility comes at the cost
of a very complex configuration which can (and will) be overwhelming.

Depending on what your needs are, you may be better of with something
much simpler, like nullmailer. If you don't need local mail delivery for
local users and just shunt every mail out to a smarthost, then Exim4 is
overkill.

I myself have replaced Exim4 from nearly all my leaf servers (about 200
of them) with nullmailer, because those system don't need local mail and
the only mail on those systems is from Cron or logcheck anyway, which
just get sent to a central mailbox for us admins to read.

Grüße,
Sven.

--
Sigmentation fault. Core dumped.