Re: How to find reason for sporadic chime from computer?

On Tue 10 May 2016 at 09:45:52 (-0400), Kynn Jones wrote:
> Suddenly, my computer has started emitting a chime sound at random
> times.  (Roughly every 30 minutes or so, but with high variance.)  I
> have found nothing else that correlates with this chiming.  In
> particular, nothing changes on the screen (i.e., no pop-ups, dialogs,
> etc. show up).
>
> I normally disable all beeps and sound notifications on my system, so
> I find this behavior pretty disconcerting.
>
> How can I troubleshoot this?

AFAICT xclock chimes on my desktop (non-randomly) even though I don't
specify -chime when it starts.

On my laptop (used in silent environments) I have this file:

$ cat /etc/modprobe.d/whatever-you-like-to-name-it.conf
# blacklist PC Speaker, particularly on the
# laptop where it is far too strident
blacklist pcspkr
blacklist snd_pcsp
#
$

That should allow you to eliminate the beeper as the source.

Cheers,
David.