Re: Debian package: Quilt | git | add files to package

On 05/09/2016 02:55 PM, Denny Fuchs wrote:
> hi,
>
> I trying to create a own Debian package which mostly worked without Git.
> Now I moved the sources (only files) to a Git repo and using
> git-buildpackage. That was working too, until I wanted to add a file
> (example Apache config). Now it fails ... and I don't get it.
> I red, that a Git commit (the new file for example) has to be added via
> a (quilt) patch, so I created one:
>
> $ quilt new apache2.conf
> $ quilt add apache2.conf
> $ quilt edit apache2.conf
> <some apache alias lines ...>
> $ quilt refresh
> <diff was created debian/patches/apache.conf>
> $ quilt header --dep3 -e
> $ quilt push
> <.. apache.conf was successful created>
> $ quilt pop -a
> <all patches reverted>
> git add debian/patches/apache.conf
> git commit -m "Added apache example config" debian/patches/apache.conf
> debian/patches/series
>
> In the Makefile (also a quilt patch), I tried to copy the created
> apache.conf file to /usr/share/doc/<something>/apache.conf.example
>
> The problem is, that the apache.conf would be created _after_ my cp
> command from the Makefile .. so I changed the order that apache.conf
> patch comes first. But that doesn't fix the problem. " cp: cannot stat
> ‘apache.conf’: No such file or directory'.
>
> So, maybe I'm completely wrong. How should I add new files to use with
> Git / quilt and get it working with:
>
> $ git-buildpackage --git-tag -uc -us  --git-ignore-new
> --git-ignore-branch   --git-tag --git-cleaner='git clean -dfx'
>

> any suggestions are welcome :-)
>
> cu denny

Hi,

This question is more suitable for debian-mentors mailing list.

I guess that using git-buildpackage assumes that you have 3 branches -
master, upstream and pristine-tar

Your debian directory is part of master branch and you are free to
modify it as you like, the only thing you need to do after the change is
to commit your changes to the master branch...

Quilt patches needed only if you want to patch the source code of your
package i.e. files not in debian/

Here you can find some details about gbp buildpackage practices:
 http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/docs/policy.html

Best,
Alex