Re: boot hangs at network interfaces

On Wed, May 04, 2016 at 02:23:27PM +0100, Brian wrote:
> On Wed 04 May 2016 at 07:18:31 -0400, Henning Follmann wrote:
>
> > On Wed, May 04, 2016 at 04:37:19AM +0000, Mark Fletcher wrote:

> > > Sorry to ask a potentially dumb question, but does that imply that if the
> > > network cable IS connected, it boots OK?
> > >
> > > Mark
> >
> > exactly that.
> > This is not my only machine with debian  on it. It is my only laptop
> > without a network manager. It is totally weird.
> > I think it has to do with dhcp and that there is no timeout set. So it
> > waits forever to pick up an Ip address (which of course doesn't work
> > without a cable).
>
> We may have different ideas of what is meant by "minimal install". All
> mine boot without a network cable attached. Would your machine being a
> laptop really be relevant to the issue?
>
> Any onscreen messages when the the hang happens?

Yes,
a start job is running for LSB: Raise network interfaces. (xx / no limits)
xx is the timer running up.

Here it hangs. Forever.
Minimal install means in this case during tasksel I only selected "laptop"
nothing else.

However since yesterday I got my hands on an old macbook pro and I
installed debian on it. So this time during tasksel i left everything
preselectet (GNOME, print server, laptop IIRC).

Now I entered the lines for eth0 into the /etc/network/interfaces.
I unplugged the network cable and...

same line "A start job.." however this time it times out ( around 1min 30s)
which seems normal since 90s is the usual dhcp timeout.

I am scratching my head...

-H

--
Henning Follmann           | hfollmann@itcfollmann.com