Re: Migrating Windows on a physical server to KVM with Debian Jessie

Hi, Andrew. Thanks for the prompt reply.

On 03/05/16 17:33, Andrew Wood wrote:

>> I was thinking of making an image of the current disk using "dd" (I could
>> even convert the raw disk to qcow if on this way the access is more
>> efficient), to start the KVM virtual machine with this disk image, but I
>> have doubts whether Windows might fail on the starting process when
>> discovering the hardware has changed.
>>
>> I would like to know what opinions you have about it.

> What version of Windows is it? Windows 10 is slightly better in regard to
> accepting major hardware changes but still not problem free.

Honestly I have not done an audit yet to see what version of Windows is
because it was something we talked at a meeting of a few minutes we had
last Saturday and this migration was something I was thinking today to
propose next Saturday in another meeting. But I do not think it is
Windows 10. Anyway I would have to check it.

> Are we talking server software here or a desktop system that non-IT staff
> interact with?

It is a client-server system. Doctors in each consulting room are
connected to this server using a desktop client. This server keeps track
of clinical records of patients, medical studies, among other things.

Thanks again for your time.

Kind regards,
Daniel